What Auto Insurance Do I Need? – Aurora CO


Hi, this is Patrick from the Conaway Insurance Agency. Today, we’re going to answer another question from one of our customers, “What auto insurance do I need?”
I’d like to take this opportunity to address uninsured/underinsured motorist protection, because I think that that’s probably one of the areas of your auto insurance that’s misunderstood the most, and when we look at uninsured/underinsured motorists for bodily injury, first of all, that’s not state-mandated, so it’s not mandatory coverage. You’re not required to carry it. You’re required to carry bodily injury and that’s to protect you in the event that you cause an accident and injure someone else, so that’s bodily injury to others. That protects the other person. The uninsured/underinsured motorist protection also has nothing to do with your car, so in the majority of accidents, your car is the only thing that’s injured, not you, and if your car is hurt, if you carry collision coverage, Allstate will fix your vehicle. You’ll pay the deductible, and we’ll get you back on the road.
In order to collect from the uninsured/underinsured motorist for bodily injury, you actually have to be injured in an accident from another driver and they either don’t have enough insurance to pay for your injuries, at which point Allstate would kick in and start paying, or they don’t have any coverage at all and they’re driving without insurance and we’re seeing an increase, especially in the state of Colorado.
So hopefully that clears up the uninsured/underinsured motorist for bodily injury. Again, it’s not mandatory coverage, it’s not state-mandated, but for those that don’t have health insurance, et cetera, it is good coverage to have and we are seeing an increase in motorists that don’t carry insurance, so talk to your agent and see what level of coverage and if that coverage is for you. Thank you.

Call Conaway Insurance Agency in Aurora CO at (303) 752-1441